Getting a passport photo in Japan doesn’t have to be stressful. The guidelines are straightforward, and there are many easy options to get your picture taken. In this guide, we’ll break down everything you need to know about Japan’s passport photo requirements.
Here are the Japan visa photo specifications:1
- Size: 35mm x 45mm
Both must be:
- Color and Background:
- Must be in color.
- Background: Plain white or light gray. No patterns, textures, or shadows.
- Head Position and Expression:
- Head-centered and facing forward directly at the camera.
- Neutral facial expression with eyes open and clearly visible.
- No smiling, frowning, or tilting of the head.
- Additional Requirements:
- The photo was taken within the last six (6) months.
- Printed on high-quality photo paper.
- No glasses, hats, or other headwear (except for religious reasons).
- Earrings and other jewelry are acceptable as long as they don’t obscure the face.
If you are in search of a reliable online service for obtaining your passport photo, look no further than Visas for Future. Our team of professionals is committed to ensuring that your photo meets all the necessary visa photo requirements. You can trust us to take care of your photo needs with precision and accuracy.
Visas for Future Passport Photo Service
Use the Visas for Future passport photo service to get a Japan passport photo that’ll work for your application. Simply take a photo of yourself using our guidelines, send it in and we’ll edit it. We’ll send you your passport photos by post with free shipping. We deliver to the Canada, the EU, the US, and the UK. For individuals outside of those countries, we can deliver your passport photos to your inbox, which you can print at home.
How it works
Take a photo.
We verify your photo.
Passport photos are delivered by post or email.
How to take your passport photo
Here’s how you can take passport photos at home to ensure that they’ll be high quality:
1.) Stand .5 meters or 2 feet from the wall. This ensures that there’s no shadow on your portrait.
2.) Place the camera 2 meters or 6 feet away from the subject. This will prevent distortion and give you a prettier picture!
3.) Have the camera on the same level as the subject’s face.
4.) Use plenty of lighting. Natural light is preferred but plenty of light in general is the best. Make sure it is even and doesn’t leave a shadow.
Why choose us
Visas for Future is a convenient service that can help you with your passport photo needs. Here are six reasons why you should choose Visas for Future for your passport photo services:
- Expertise: Our experts ensure that your passport photo meets the official requirements of your destination country.
- Convenience: You can upload your own photo or take one with your smartphone, and we will crop, resize, and enhance it to create a perfect biometric photo.
- Support: We’re visa and passport photo experts. You can ask us travel questions, which will make your trip-planning process easier.
- Speed: Your photos are shipped within a day!
- Unlimited retakes: You can also take as many photos as you want until you are satisfied with the result.
- Guarantee: Visas for Future offers a 100% money-back guarantee if your passport photo is not accepted by the authorities.
What are the specifications for Japanese passport photos?
Here are the essential specifications for Japanese passport photos:2
Size and Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 35mm x 45mm (width x height)
- Head Size: The area from your chin to the top of your head should be between 32mm and 36mm.
- Top Margin: Leave a space of 2mm to 6mm between the top of your head and the top edge of the photo.
Appearance and Background:
- Expression: Neutral facial expression with mouth closed.
- Eyes: Eyes open and clearly visible.
- Background: Plain white or off-white.
- Headwear: Not allowed unless for religious reasons.
- Eyeglasses: It’s generally preferable to remove them to avoid glare, and the frames should not obscure your eyes.
- Shadows: No shadows on the face or background.
- Recent: Taken within the last six months.
- Color: Clear color photo.
- Print: Printed on matte or glossy photo-quality paper.
- Focus: Sharp and in focus.
- Resolution: At least 600 dpi (higher resolution is fine)
Guidelines and criteria for Japanese passport and visa photos for babies
The Japanese passport and visa photo requirements for babies are generally the same as for adults. However, there are a few additional considerations to keep in mind:
Specific Guidelines for Babies:
- Body Support: Since babies can’t hold their heads up independently, you might need to use a hand or support to keep their head steady when taking the photo. Make sure your hand or any support is not visible in the photo.
- Eyes Open: It might be difficult to capture a photo with a baby’s eyes open. Be patient and try when your baby is alert and awake.
- Neutral Expression: A neutral expression is still preferred, but slight deviations might be acceptable as babies can have difficulty maintaining a perfectly neutral face.
- Plain Background: Use a plain white sheet or blanket draped over a chair or car seat to create the required background.
- No Objects: Ensure there are no distracting objects or other people in the frame. The focus should be entirely on the baby.
Tips for Taking Baby Passport/Visa Photos
- Natural Light: Find a well-lit area with natural light for the best results. Avoid harsh fluorescent lighting.
- Lay Baby Down: Lay your baby down on a white sheet or blanket. This allows you to get the photo from above, ensuring a neutral background.
- Patience is Key: Be patient and take multiple shots. You’ll likely get a few usable ones, even if some shots have blinking eyes or a non-neutral expression.
Remember: Meeting these requirements is crucial to avoid delays or rejections in your application. You can use passport photo service here at Visas for Future to ensure a government-compliant passport photo for your little one.
Advice, Tips, and Recommendations for Capturing a Passport Photo Successfully
- Familiarize yourself with official requirements: Ensure you understand the specific size, background, and facial expression specifications for your issuing authority. Refer to official government websites or consult your local passport office for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
- Gather necessary materials: You will need a plain white or light-colored background, a camera capable of capturing high-resolution images, and photo-quality paper for printing. Consider using a neutral-colored sheet, drape, or wall as your background.
Capturing the Image:
- Lighting: Employ natural light whenever possible. Avoid harsh shadows on your face and background. If using artificial lighting, ensure it is evenly distributed to avoid creating glare or unnatural color casts.
- Positioning and Posture: Maintain a straight posture with your head centered and shoulders square to the camera. Ensure your entire face is visible and evenly lit within the frame.
- Facial Expression: Aim for a neutral expression, with your mouth closed and eyes open and clearly visible. Avoid excessive smiling, frowning, or squinting.
- Attire: Dress appropriately for a formal setting. Avoid wearing clothing with patterns, logos, or anything that may obscure your face.
- Utilize a tripod: A tripod ensures camera stability and prevents blurry photos.
- Multiple attempts: Take several photos to ensure you capture a clear and well-lit image with the desired facial expression.
Taking a passport photo alone can be a challenging task, and if it doesn’t comply with the guidelines, your application may be rejected, causing unnecessary delays and stress. To avoid such a situation, you can use the Visas for Future passport photo service. Our service ensures that your passport photo meets all the government’s requirements, including the correct size, background color, and lighting.
Getting a Japanese passport photo online
You can get your Japanese passport photo with these simple steps:
Step 1: Click on “Get a Japan Passport Photo“
Step 2: Fill out the form with your personal information and pay the application fee.
Step 3: Upload a clear photo.
Step 4: Download your government-compliant passport photo in 24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Japanese visa photos matte or glossy?
You must provide photographs printed on high-quality matte paper. Glossy photos are not accepted for Japanese visa applications.
What to wear to a Japanese visa photo?
Wear simple, neatly pressed clothes in a solid color for your Japanese visa photo. Choose a color that stands out against the plain white background, avoiding white or overly light colors that blend in.
What is the best color for a visa photo?
When choosing your clothing color for a visa photo, prioritize solid, non-distracting colors that contrast well with the white background. Darker shades like black, navy blue, or brown are safe bets. Avoid white or overly bright and neon colors as they can blend in or clash with the background, potentially obscuring your features.
How do you prepare a photo for a visa?
Find a well-lit area with a plain white or light-colored background. Capture a high-resolution image with a neutral expression and no distracting elements in the frame. Ensure your photo is printed on high-quality matte paper and meets the exact size specifications.
Are earrings allowed in visa photos?
While specific regulations vary by country, earrings are generally allowed in visa photos as long as they are small, non-reflective, and do not obscure your facial features.
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. (2024). www.mofa.go.jp. <https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html>
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. (2023). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.<https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html#section4>
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Gajes, Apple. "Japan Passport Photo Guide." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/japan-visa-passport-photo-requirements/. Accessed on 14 September 2023.
Gajes, Apple. "Japan Passport Photo Guide." Visas For Future. September 14, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/japan-visa-passport-photo-requirements/.