Taking your German passport photo online can be a convenient and efficient way to get things done. However, ensuring it meets all the specific requirements is crucial to avoid delays in your application process.
- Size: 35mm x 45mm (1.38 inches x 1.77 inches).
- Background: Plain, light gray, or light blue background. No patterns, shadows, or visible objects.
- Full frontal view with head straight and not tilted.
- Both ears are visible.
- The top of the head (including hair) is visible.
- The face is centered and fills 70-80% of the frame (height between 32mm and 36mm).
- Expression: Neutral expression with mouth closed and lips together. No smiling or frowning.
- Eyes: Open and visible. No sunglasses or tinted glasses. Looking directly at the camera.
- Headwear: Not allowed, except for religious reasons with a doctor’s note.
- Photo quality: High resolution (at least 600 dpi) with good focus and lighting. No red eyes, shadows, or reflections.
- Resolution: At least 600 dpi (dots per inch).
- Recent: Taken within the last six months.
- Number of copies: Two identical for visa application.
- Tips for Taking Your Online Photo
- Lighting: Use natural light or bright, even artificial light. Avoid harsh shadows or uneven lighting.
- Background: Find a plain white wall or use a virtual background tool provided by the online service.
- Pose: Stand with your shoulders relaxed and look directly at the camera. Keep your head straight and avoid tilting it.
- Expression: Maintain a neutral expression with your mouth closed and lips together. No smiling or frowning.
- Clothing: Wear clothing that contrasts with the background. Avoid busy patterns or anything that covers your face.
- Hair: Style your hair to keep it neat and away from your face.
Sample of German passport photo
Overall, German passport photos online through Visas for Future is the most convenient, affordable, and fast way to get your passport photo taken and printed. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully, and our team will ensure that your photo will meet all the requirements set by the government.
Visas for Future Passport Photo Service
Use the Visas for Future passport photo service to get a passport photo that’ll work for your application. Simply take a photo of yourself using our guidelines, send it in and we’ll edit it. We’ll send you your passport photos by post with free shipping. We deliver to Canada, the EU, the US, and the UK. For individuals outside of those countries, we can deliver your passport photos to your inbox, which you can print at home. For every product sold, we plant a tree!
How it works
Take a photo.
We verify your photo.
Passport photos are delivered by post or email.
How to take your passport photo
Here’s how you can take passport photos at home, to ensure that they’ll be high quality:
1.) Stand .5 meters or 2 feet from the wall. This ensures that there’s no shadow on your portrait.
2.) Place the camera 2 meters or 6 feet away from the subject. This will prevent distortion and give you a prettier picture!
3.) Have the camera on the same level as the subject’s face.
4.) Use plenty of lighting. Natural light is preferred but plenty of light in general is the best. Make sure it is even and doesn’t leave a shadow.
Benefits of using an online passport photo service
There are many choices when it comes to getting a passport photo but here are reasons why you should go with an online agent:
- You don’t have to leave your house.
- We know the passport photo rules of the country you’re applying to.
- We validate your photo – we check your passport photo to make sure it is in order.
- Save money with bulk orders – you can order many passport photos and save.
Why choose us
Visas for Future is a convenient service that can help you with your passport photo needs. Here are six reasons why you should choose Visas for Future for your passport photo services:
- Expertise: Our experts ensure that your passport photo meets the official requirements of your destination country.
- Convenience: You can upload your own photo or take one with your smartphone, and we will crop, resize, and enhance it to create a perfect biometric photo.
- Support: We’re visa and passport photo experts. You can ask us travel questions, which will make your trip-planning process easier.
- Speed: Your photos are shipped within a day!
- Unlimited retakes: You can also take as many photos as you want until you are satisfied with the result.
How to Correctly Take Your German Passport Photo Using a Smartphone?
Taking your German passport photo using a smartphone is possible, but following specific guidelines is crucial to ensure it meets their strict requirements. Here’s how you can do it correctly:
Before you begin
- Familiarize yourself with the official German passport photo requirements.
- Choose a well-lit area with natural light (avoid flash). The white or light grey walls will make a good background.
- Find a plain cloth or sheet in a light grey color as an alternative background (especially for babies).
- Have a helper assist you, especially for positioning and capturing the photo.
Taking the photo
- Set your phone camera to high resolution (at least 2 megapixels).
- Hold the phone at eye level, directly facing you.
- Maintain a neutral expression with your mouth closed and eyes open.
- Position yourself against the plain background, ensuring your head and shoulders are visible.
- Fill the frame with your head, ensuring it takes up approximately 70-80% of the image.
- Take multiple photos from slightly different angles to maximize your chances of capturing an acceptable one.
Remember: It’s risky to take your own passport photo as it might not meet government requirements, leading to rejection. To ensure acceptance, use Visas for Future passport photo service.
German Passport Photo for Babies and Infants
Taking a passport photo for babies and infants can be challenging, but with the right approach, you can get an acceptable photo for your child’s German passport application. Here are some key points to remember:
- Photo size: 35mm x 45mm (approximately 1.4 inches x 1.8 inches).
- The photo should show the baby’s full face (from chin to hairline) and both ears like adults.
- A neutral expression is preferred, but a slight mouth opening is allowed. No pacifiers, bottles, or toys!
- Plain background contrasting to the hair (light grey for dark hair, medium grey for light hair).
Special Considerations for Babies
- The Head does not need to be perfectly centered or still. Gentle support is allowed if needed, but keep hands out of the frame.
- Direct eye contact is not mandatory for young babies.
- A slight head tilt or open mouth is acceptable due to the nature of infants.
- To ensure a plain background, you can lay newborns on a white or grey blanket.
- Multiple attempts are expected, so be patient and capture the clearest image possible.
Correct and Incorrect German Passport Photos Samples
How do you get a German passport photo Online?
Here’s the simple step for obtaining your passport photo through Visas for Future.
Step 2: Fill out the order form
Step 3: Pay the application fee.
Step 4: Upload your photo.
Step 5: Receive your photo in 24 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download my passport photo online?
Yes, with Visas for Future’s online passport photo service, you can download your photo 24 hours after obtaining it with us.
What size photo is needed for a German passport?
For a German passport, the photo size must be 35mm x 45mm, approximately 1.4 inches x 1.8 inches.
- Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany Manama | Photo Requirements. (2024). manama.diplo.de/. <https://manama.diplo.de/blob/1699782/668ff3028b0af94790e80ba0f4d99844/download-passfotosneu-data.pdf>
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Samortin, Jenilyn. "German Passport Photo Online." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/german-passport-photos-online/. Accessed on 16 September 2023.
Samortin, Jenilyn. "German Passport Photo Online." Visas For Future. September 16, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/german-passport-photos-online/.