Obtaining passport photos online is a cost-effective and convenient option for acquiring your digital photo. Use your smartphone, tablet, or digital camera to take a photo of yourself, following the United Kingdom passport guidelines. Upload the photo to a dedicated website or mobile app, and the platform will handle the cropping and adjustments to align with your country’s passport office specifications. Upon approval, you can download the photo or choose the convenience of printing it and delivering it to your preferred location. This hassle-free process ensures that your passport photo meets all necessary standards, providing a seamless experience for your passport application.
Here are the advantages of using passport photos online:
- Convenience: Create passport photos from anywhere and anytime using your digital devices.
- Affordability: Online passport photos are usually more cost-effective than studio options.
- Quickness: It only takes a few minutes to generate passport photos online.
- Flexibility: You can adjust your passport photo until you are satisfied.
Here are the full rules for a United Kingdom Passport Photo:1
- Size and Dimension:
- The photo should measure 45 millimeters (mm) in height by 35mm in width (the standard size used in UK photo booths).
- It must not be a cut-down version of a larger picture.
- If using a photo booth outside the UK, ensure it can provide photos with measurements of 45mm in height by 35mm in width.
- The image of you, from the crown of your head to your chin, must be between 29mm and 34mm in height.
- Digital photos should have dimensions of at least 600 pixels wide by 750 pixels tall, with a file size between 50KB and 10MB.
- Photos must be printed to a professional standard.
- They should be clear and in focus.
- They must be in color on plain white photographic paper with no border.
- Photos should be without any creases or tears.
- Unless a photo needs to be countersigned, it must be unmarked on both sides.
- Photos should remain unaltered by computer software.
- General Requirements:
- The photo must be a close-up of your full head and upper shoulders.
- It should contain no other objects or people.
- The photo must be taken against a plain cream or light grey background.
- It should be in clear contrast to the background.
- It must not have ‘red-eye.
- Expression and Pose:
- You must face forward and look straight at the camera.
- Have a plain expression with your mouth closed.
- Your eyes should be open and visible.
- The photo must not have hair in front of your eyes.
- It must not have anything covering your face.
- It should not have any shadows on your face or behind you.
- The photo must not have a head covering unless for religious or medical reasons.
- Do not wear glasses in your photo unless required. If wearing glasses, they cannot be sunglasses or tinted glasses, and ensure your eyes are not covered by frames or any glare, reflection, or shadow.
- Photographs of infants and young children:
- Children should be photographed individually, without holding toys or using pacifiers.
- Children under age six are not required to look directly at the camera or maintain a neutral expression.
- Infants under the age of one are not obligated to keep their eyes open. While capturing the photo, supporting their head with your hand is acceptable, ensuring that your hand remains unseen.
Visas for Future Passport Photo Service
If you’re looking to get your United Kingdom passport photo online, Visas for Future offers convenient services to ensure your picture meets official requirements, saving you time and hassle. Just follow our guidelines, take a photo of yourself, send it in, and we’ll handle the editing. Your passport photos will be delivered by post with free shipping and will be available in Canada, the EU, the US, and the UK. If you’re outside those regions, we can send your passport photos to your inbox for easy printing at home. Plus, with every product purchased, we plant a tree!
How it works
Take a photo.
We verify your photo.
Passport photos are delivered by post or email.
How to take your passport photo
Here’s how you can take passport photos at home to ensure that they’ll be high quality:
1.) Stand .5 meters or 2 feet from the wall. This ensures that there’s no shadow on your portrait.
2.) Place the camera 2 meters or 6 feet away from the subject. This will prevent distortion and give you a prettier picture!
3.) Have the camera on the same level as the subject’s face.
4.) Use plenty of lighting. Natural light is preferred, but plenty of light in general is the best. Make sure it is even and doesn’t leave a shadow.
Benefits of using an online passport photo service
There are many choices when it comes to getting a passport photo, but here are reasons why you should go with an online agent:
- You don’t have to leave your house.
- We know the passport photo rules of the country you’re applying to.
- We validate and check your passport photo to ensure it is in order.
- Save money with bulk orders – you can order many passport photos and save.
Why choose us
Visas for Future is a convenient service that can help you with your passport photo needs. Here are six reasons why you should choose Visas for Future for your passport photo services:
- Expertise: Our experts ensure that your passport photo meets the official requirements of your destination country.
- Convenience: You can upload your photo or take one with your smartphone, and we will crop, resize, and enhance it to create a perfect biometric photo.
- Support: We’re visa and passport photo experts. You can ask us travel questions, making your trip-planning process easier.
- Speed: Your photos are shipped within a day!
- Unlimited retakes: You can also take as many photos as you want until you are satisfied with the result.
Sample passport photo for the United Kingdom
Here are sample images of correct and incorrect United Kingdom passport photos.1
Online services for United Kingdom passport photos
If you intend to capture your passport photo online, consider Visas for Future. We offer online passport photo services, guaranteeing that your image complies with all official requirements and streamlining the process to save you time and frustration. Our processing service ensures timely delivery of your photos within seven business days in the EU, Canada, and the USA. You can also have a digital download if you reside outside these regions.
Here’s the step-by-step process for obtaining your passport photo online through Visas for Future:
Step 1: Visit the official Visas for Future website and select the “Get Passport Photo now” section.
Step 2: Complete the order form by furnishing essential details, including your name, email address, and country of residence, and specify the country for which you are applying for a passport.
Step 3: Proceed to pay the application fee, which amounts to $5.50. Ensure a secure transaction process.
Step 4: Upload the photo you wish to use for your passport application, adhering to the specified guidelines for clarity and compliance with passport photo requirements.
Step 5: Receive your photo in 24 hours.
Check the validity of the online passport photo services
- Find a reputable checker:
- Official Government Resources: Refer to your government’s passport agency website for a list of approved or recommended services.
- Third-party websites: Research well-regarded sites like Passport Photo Online, VisaPro, or iVisa, ensuring they align with your country’s requirements.
- Upload your photo:
- Most checkers allow you to upload a photo from your computer or phone.
- Check the supported file formats (e.g., JPG, PNG) and size limitations.
- Follow the instructions:
- Each site may have specific steps, such as selecting your country and photo type (passport, visa, etc.).
- Review the results:
- The checker will analyze your photo for adherence to requirements like size, background, expression, and headwear.
- Some checkers provide detailed feedback and suggestions for improvement.
- Download/purchase (optional):
- If your photo passes, you can download a compliant version or purchase printing services.
Tips when using online services for Passport photos
If you’re opting for online passport photo services, consider the following tips:
- Ensure your photo adheres to your passport’s specific requirements for the issuing country or organization. Different rules may apply regarding size, format, background, and quality. Check the official website or consult the embassy or consulate for accurate information.
- Select a recent, clear photo of your face. Avoid digitally retouching or altering your photo using computer software, phone apps, filters, or artificial intelligence. The picture should accurately represent your current appearance and match your identity documents.
- Have someone else take your photo; avoid selfies. Use a tripod or a stable surface to position your camera or phone at eye level, approximately 1.5 meters away.
- Remove eyeglasses, sunglasses, hats, or any accessories covering your face or head. If a head covering is worn for religious or medical reasons, ensure it doesn’t obscure facial features or create shadows.
- Wear appropriate clothing and colors. Avoid white, black, or very bright colors that may blend with the background. Opt for everyday attire, avoiding uniforms, costumes, or clothing with logos or slogans.
- Choose a plain, light-colored background without distracting patterns, textures, or objects. Ensure even lighting without shadows or glare on your face.
- Maintain a neutral facial expression, looking directly at the camera. Avoid smiling, frowning, or making gestures with your face or mouth. Keep your eyes open and visible; avoid tilting or turning your head or shoulders.
- Review and edit your photo before submission. Utilize an online passport photo service for cropping, resizing, and adjustments according to requirements. Consider using a passport photo template or maker tool.
- Print your photo on high-quality paper or save it as a digital file. Ensure clarity, sharpness, and no pixelation or blurriness. Avoid folding, stapling, or damaging the photo.
Online tools for making passport photos
Here are some online tools you can use to make passport photos:
- Passport Photo Online [online + iOS & Android]:
- This versatile tool is accessible online and through dedicated mobile apps for both iOS and Android platforms. It provides an easy and convenient way to create passport photos.
- PersoFoto [online]:
- PersoFoto is an online tool designed for creating passport photos. It offers a user-friendly interface to generate photos that meet the specific requirements for official documents.
- Passport Photo—ID Photo [iOS & Android]:
- Available for both iOS and Android devices, this app simplifies capturing and creating passport photos. It ensures compliance with official standards for identification photos.
- ID Photo for Passports and IDs [Android]:
- Specifically designed for Android users, this app is an efficient tool for capturing and formatting passport photos. It aims to meet the criteria set for official identification documents.
- Passport Photo & ID Maker [iOS]:
- This iOS app is tailored for Apple device users, providing a convenient solution for creating passport photos. It emphasizes accuracy and adherence to the required standards for official identification.
- Pic4Pass by BioID [online]:
- Pic4Pass, available online, offers a reliable platform for creating passport photos. It integrates with BioID’s technology to ensure the quality and accuracy of the generated images.
Things to consider when choosing an online passport photo tool:
- Price: Free tools are available, but paid tools may offer additional features and a money-back guarantee.
- Features: Some tools offer more features, such as automatic background removal, red-eye correction, and facial adjustments.
- Ease of use: Some tools are easier to use than others.
- Customer support: Some tools offer customer support in case of any problems.
Things to remember when using online tools
Here are some key things to remember when using online tools:
- Privacy Concerns: Exercise caution when sharing information with online tools. Provide only essential details and avoid submitting sensitive data such as financial information or passwords.
- Password Strength: Utilize solid and unique passwords for each tool and enable two-factor authentication (2FA) whenever possible.
- Regular Updates: Keep your operating system, web browser, and online tools updated to address potential security vulnerabilities.
- Mindful Permissions: Be conscious of the permissions granted to online tools. Only provide access to what is necessary for the tool’s functionality.
- Data Breach Awareness: Stay informed about data breaches and promptly change your passwords if a tool you use experiences one.
- Review Check: Before using a tool, especially paid options, check reviews and ratings to assess reliability.
- Customer Support: Opt for tools with dependable customer support if issues arise.
- Data Backup: Back up important data stored with online tools as a precaution against malfunctions or shutdowns.
- Exploration of Alternatives: Consider alternative tools if you have concerns about a specific tool’s reliability or security practices.
- Copyright Compliance: Ensure you have the right to use any content you upload to online tools, especially for image editing or creation.
- Respectful Behavior: Maintain respect for others while using online tools, refraining from harassment or inappropriate conduct.
- Scam Awareness: Be vigilant against phishing attempts or scams posing as online tools. Verify secure connections and official websites.
- Time Management: Monitor your time spent using online tools to avoid excessive use, which can be detrimental.
- Terms of Service Understanding: Familiarize yourself with and comprehend the terms of service for each tool before usage.
- Privacy Setting Adjustment: Modify the privacy settings of online tools to control who can access your information and activity.
- Device Security: Use a secure device with antivirus software when utilizing online tools.
- Logout Habit: Always log out of online tools when finished to enhance security.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I upload a digital photo to my UK passport?
During the online UK passport application, select “take or upload” instead of directly uploading a photo, and follow the provided photo code or upload guide.
How do I know if my passport photo is acceptable for the UK?
To ensure your passport photo is acceptable for the UK, you should follow the guidelines provided by the UK government.
Is an iPhone photo good for a UK passport?
Yes, you can use an iPhone photo for a UK passport as long as it meets the specific requirements set by the UK government.
Why do passport photos get rejected?
Passport photos may face rejection for various reasons, primarily due to not adhering to the specific requirements established by the issuing authority.
- Government Digital Service. (11 October 2012). Get a Passport Photo. GOV.UK. Retrieved February 24, 2024. <https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements#:~:text=The%20size%20of%20your%20printed,version%20of%20a%20larger%20picture>
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Diego, James Abel. "United Kingdom Passport Photo Online 2024." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/british-passport-photo/. Accessed on 24 September 2023.
Diego, James Abel. "United Kingdom Passport Photo Online 2024." Visas For Future. September 24, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/british-passport-photo/.