Here’s the full rules for the Belgium passport photo:1
- Size and dimensions
- Physical size: 35mm x 45mm (width x height) or 3.5cm x 4.5cm.
- Head size: 70-80% of the frame is occupied by the face, about 31mm from top to chin and 2.5mm from the top of the head.
- Image quality
- Resolution: 300 dpi (dots per inch)
- Pixel size: approximately 826 pixels wide and 1062 pixels high.
- Color photo printed on high-quality photo paper.
- Plain light background (white or light grey preferred).
- No shadows, patterns, or other people visible.
- Neutral, solid-colored clothing (darker shades preferred).
- Avoid low necklines, uniforms, and distracting patterns.
- Headwear is not allowed (except for religious purposes with documentation).
- Glasses are allowed only if medically necessary and unobtrusive.
- Neutral expression, mouth closed, eyes open and visible, looking directly at the camera.
- Quantity: Two identical photos are required.
- Size: 35 mm x 45 mm (width x height) (3.5cm x 4.5cm)
Knowing the exact specifications for Belgian passport photos is crucial for two main reasons:
1. Avoid delays and hassle: Photos that do not meet the requirements will be rejected, causing delays and requiring you to resubmit your application. This can be frustrating and inconvenient, especially if your travel plans rely on obtaining your passport quickly.
2. Ensure smooth processing: Photos that adhere to the specifications ensure your application can be processed efficiently and without additional scrutiny. This reduces the chances of delays or issues arising from unclear or inappropriate photos.
3. Security and identification: Passport photos are used for identification purposes, both at the border and for other official uses. Photos that meet the specifications ensure consistent quality and clarity, allowing for accurate identification and reducing the risk of fraud.
4. International standards: Most passport photo requirements adhere to international standards, including those for Belgium. Knowing the exact specifications ensures your photos are accepted not only in Belgium but also in other countries you might travel to.
5. Professional appearance: Photos that meet the specifications tend to provide a more professional and consistent appearance, which can be beneficial for international travel and official purposes.
Remember, even small details like photo specifications are crucial, so obtaining your Belgium passport photo through Visas for Future is recommended to ensure it meets all the necessary requirements set by the government.
Visas for Future Passport Photo Service
Use the Visas for Future passport photo service to get a passport photo that’ll work for your application. Simply take a photo of yourself using our guidelines, send it in and we’ll edit it. We’ll send you your passport photos by post with free shipping. We deliver to Canada, the EU, the US, and the UK. For individuals outside of those countries, we can deliver your passport photos to your inbox, which you can print at home. For every product sold, we plant a tree!
How it works
Take a photo.
We verify your photo.
Passport photos are delivered by post or email.
How to take your passport photo
Here’s how you can take passport photos at home to ensure that they’ll be high quality:
1.) Stand .5 meters or 2 feet from the wall. This ensures that there’s no shadow on your portrait.
2.) Place the camera 2 meters or 6 feet away from the subject. This will prevent distortion and give you a prettier picture!
3.) Have the camera on the same level as the subject’s face.
4.) Use plenty of lighting. Natural light is preferred but plenty of light in general is the best. Make sure it is even and doesn’t leave a shadow.
Benefits of using an online passport photo service
There are many choices when it comes to getting a passport photo, but here are the reasons why you should go with an online agent:
- You don’t have to leave your house.
- We know the passport photo rules of the country you’re applying to.
- We validate your photo – we check your passport photo to make sure it is in order.
- Save money with bulk orders – you can order many passport photos and save.
Why choose us
Visas for Future is a convenient service that can help you with your passport photo needs. Here are six reasons why you should choose Visas for Future for your passport photo services:
- Expertise: Our experts ensure that your passport photo meets the official requirements of your destination country.
- Convenience: You can upload your own photo or take one with your smartphone, and we will crop, resize, and enhance it to create a perfect biometric photo.
- Support: We’re visa and passport photo experts. You can ask us travel questions, making your trip-planning process easier.
- Speed: Your photos are shipped within a day!
- Unlimited retakes: You can also take as many photos as you want until you are satisfied with the result.
Allowed Clothes to Wear for Belgium Passport Photo
While there isn’t a strict dress code for Belgian passport photos, there are some guidelines to ensure your photo gets accepted:
- Solid colors: Opt for solid colors that contrast with the background (usually white or light grey). This will make your facial features stand out more clearly.
- Neutral tones: Stick to neutral tones like black, navy blue, grey, or beige. These colors tend to photograph well and appear professional.
- Collared shirts: Shirts with collars generally create a more polished look. You can wear blouses, button-downs, or T-shirts with collars.
- Simple patterns: Small, subtle patterns are acceptable, but avoid anything too loud or busy.
- Religious headwear: If you wear headwear for religious reasons, you can keep it on in your photo. However, it must not cover your face.
- Uniforms: Avoid wearing military uniforms, sports uniforms, or any other type of uniform.
- Camouflage: Steer clear of clothing with camouflage patterns.
- Deep necklines: Avoid low-cut shirts or tank tops, as they can appear inappropriate in a passport photo.
- Hats (except religious): Hats, headbands, and other headwear (except for religious purposes) are not allowed.
- Glasses (unless medically necessary): You cannot wear glasses in your photo unless you have a documented medical reason for doing so.
- Large jewelry: Avoid wearing large or flashy jewelry that could distract from your face.
Here are some examples of clothing that would be appropriate for a Belgian passport photo:
- A solid-colored collared shirt
- A blouse
- A t-shirt with a collar
- A dress with a modest neckline
- A religious head covering
Ultimately, the most important thing is to choose clothing that you feel comfortable and confident in. Just make sure it follows the guidelines above, and you shouldn’t have any problems getting your passport photo accepted.
Belgium Passport photo for kids and babies
For kids and babies, there are a few additional points to consider for their Belgian passport photos:
For children under six (6) years of age
- No photos are required: Since 2020, children under six (6) in Belgium can have their photo taken directly at the embassy or consulate where they apply for their passports. This ensures the photo meets the strict international criteria.
- If you choose to submit photos beforehand, follow the same guidelines as adults, such as using neutral colors, avoiding hats, and ensuring the background is light and plain.
For babies and infants
- A plain white background is essential. You can use a white sheet, blanket, or studio backdrop.
- Ensure their eyes are open and visible. This might require some patience and gentle coaxing.
- Support their head if needed. If your baby can’t hold their head up yet, gently support it with your hand, keeping it out of the frame.
- Loose, comfortable clothing is best. This will help keep your baby calm and avoid shadows or wrinkles.
- No hats or headbands. These can cover their face or cast shadows.
- Be patient and take multiple photos. Babies can be unpredictable, so be prepared to take several shots until you get a good one.
Correct and Incorrect Samples of Belgium Passport Photos
Source: Kingdom of Belgium, Federal Public Service, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation Website
Steps to get a Belgium passport photo Online
Step 1: Visit Visas for Future.
Step 2: Click on “Get Passport Photo now“ button
Step 3: Fill out the order form and pay the fee.
Step 4: Upload your photo.
Step 5: Receive your passport photo.
Frequently Asked Questions
What color is the Belgium passport?
The Belgian passport is typically burgundy. This is the standard color for EU passports, and Belgium adheres to this design.
What color shirt to wear for passport photo?
When choosing a shirt for your Belgian passport photo, prioritize solid, dark colors that contrast with the white background. Opt for classics like black, navy blue, or grey. Avoid light colors, busy patterns, and low necklines. Aim for a polished look with collared shirts, but simple t-shirts are also acceptable. Remember, comfort and confidence are key, so choose something you feel good in while adhering to these guidelines!
What is Belgium’s passport photo size in pixels?
While the official requirement for Belgian passport photos states the dimensions in millimeters (35mm x 45mm), the pixel size depends on the resolution you choose. For optimal quality, aim for at least 826 pixels wide and 1062 pixels high. This translates to a resolution of around 300 pixels per inch (ppi), ensuring your photo meets professional standards and prints clearly. Remember, some online submission platforms might have specific size restrictions, so double-check their guidelines before submission.
- Belgian citizen in Belgium. (2022, October 4). FPS Foreign Affairs – Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation. https://diplomatie.belgium.be/en/belgians-abroad/belgian-passport/applying-passport/belgian-citizen-belgium
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Santos, Byron. "Belgium Passport Photo Guide." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/belgium-passport-photo-requirements/. Accessed on 13 September 2023.
Santos, Byron. "Belgium Passport Photo Guide." Visas For Future. September 13, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/belgium-passport-photo-requirements/.