The India eMedical Visa is an electronic visa that permits foreign nationals to travel to India for medical purposes. It offers a convenient and hassle-free option for medical travelers, as it can be acquired online without the need to visit an Indian embassy or consulate. However, not everyone is eligible for this visa; eligibility is limited to specific countries listed here. The applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
Special Conditions For Entry
- Previous e-visa details if the traveler has visited India before
- List of countries visited in the last ten (10) years
- Accommodation details
- Employment details
- List of SAARC countries visited in the last years (3) years (India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Maldives).
- Emergency contact details in India
- Emergency contact details in the home country
- Additional information in case of military employment
- Intended places of visit in India
- If your parents or grandparents are Pakistan nationals, then you are not eligible for an e-Visa
- Additional justification in case an India visa was declined in the past
To apply for an India e-Medical Visa, foreign nationals can visit Visas for Future. The process of applying is easy to follow. Applicants are required to complete an online application form and submit necessary documents, including a scanned copy of their passport, a passport-size photo, and a letter of invitation from a recognized hospital or medical institution in India. Additionally, customer support will be provided to address any problems or questions arising during the application process.
What We’re Offering
If you want to travel to India for medical treatment, you need an India e-Medical Visa. Our India e-Medical Visa processing service will give you your e-Medical Visa in your mailbox within four days. We offer a triple-entry e-Medical visa valid for 60 days from the date of arrival for $144.64. It is meant for those traveling to India for medical procedures, surgeries, or medical consultations.
Why choose us
Our visa forms are easy and simple.
We validate your application.
We answer your questions.
We plant a tree!
India Medical Visa Eligibility
To be eligible for an e-Medical Visa, individuals must have a confirmed appointment with a recognized medical institution or hospital in India. They should also have a letter from the medical facility indicating the details of their treatment.
Visitors are not eligible for e-Visas if they or any of their parents or grandparents were born in or have permanently resided in Pakistan, in which case they may only apply for a visa at an Indian diplomatic post.
Guidelines to follow on India EMedical Visa Application
Here are some guidelines to adhere to when applying for an India E-Medical Visa:
- Citizenship: Ensure you are a citizen of one of the 165 countries eligible for the Indian e-visa.
- Passport Validity: Possess a valid passport with at least 6 months of validity from your arrival date in India. Your passport should have a minimum of 2 blank pages.
- Medical Referral: Obtain a referral letter from a recognized medical institution in your country, indicating your need for medical treatment in India. Additionally, secure a letter of invitation from a recognized medical institution in India, specifying treatment details and the duration of your stay.
- Application Process: Complete the online visa application form, upload the required documents, and pay the visa fee. The application for the e-Medical visa can be made at least 4 days before your intended travel date.
- Documentation: Print out the e-Medical visa confirmation email and carry it with you when traveling to India. Also, carry your original passport and letters from the medical institutions, as these documents must be presented at the immigration checkpoint upon arrival in India.
- Stay Duration: You are allowed to stay in India for up to 60 days from the date of your first entry. The e-Medical visa permits entry three times within its validity period and is solely for medical purposes, excluding activities such as tourism or business.
- Application Frequency: You can apply for the e-Medical visa up to three times in a year. For extensions or changes in visa category, contact the nearest Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in India and follow their instructions.
List of Medical Treatments Allowed in India
India offers a wide range of specialized medical treatments, including:
- Consultation with Doctor
- Hair, Skin Treatment
- Orthopaedic treatment
- Oncology treatment
- Internal surgery
- Cardiac treatment
- Diabetes treatment
- Mental health condition
- Renal treatment
- Joint replacement
- Plastic Surgery
- Ayurvedic treatment
List of Airports and Seaports where an EMedical visa can be used to Arrive
E-Visas may only be used for arrival at the following airports and seaports:
- Port Blair
Requirements for the Medical Treatment Visa in India
Required Documents For E-Medical Visa Application:
1. Valid Passport Details And Digital Photograph
- The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the intended date of departure from India.
- The applicant must submit a digital photograph that meets the passport photo requirements.
2. Medical Treatment Recommendation From Recognized Hospitals In India
The applicant must submit a letter of invitation from a recognized hospital or medical institution in India. The letter must include the following information:
- The patient’s name, date of birth, and passport number.
- The type of medical treatment required.
- The expected dates of hospitalization.
- The estimated cost of medical treatment.
3. Proof Of Financial Means To Cover Medical Expenses And Stay In India
The applicant must submit proof of financial means to cover medical expenses and stay in India. This may include bank statements, credit card statements, or a letter from a sponsor.
Additional Documents That May Be Required
In addition to the above documents, the Indian government may require additional documents from e-Medical Visa applicants. These documents may include:
- Medical records
- Police clearance certificate
- HIV test results
Processing time of the India EMedical Visa
The processing time for an India e-Medical Visa is 4 working days. Once the visa is approved, the applicant will receive an email with the e-Medical Visa. The e-Medical Visa can be printed out and taken to India.
India Medical Visa Cost
At Visas for Future, the India e-Medical visa is priced at $144.64, ensuring an affordable and straightforward option for individuals seeking medical travel to India.
Duration of India Medical Visa
The maximum duration of stay for an e-Medical Visa is 60 days from the date of arrival in India, providing ample time for individuals to undergo medical treatment and fulfill their healthcare needs.
India EMedical Visa Validity and Extension
The visa is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and is a Triple Entry type visa. However, under the new visa policy of India, the paper-based medical visa can be extended for up to 180 days. Any additional extension beyond this period will be granted solely by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
India Medical Visa Limitations
The following constraints apply to the Indian Medical Visa:
- Purpose and Eligibility: The medical visa is exclusively for individuals seeking medical treatment at a recognized and licensed medical institution in India. Applicants must provide a referral letter from a doctor in their home country and a letter of invitation from a hospital or treatment center.
- Validity and Entry: The medical visa is valid for 60 days from the date of arrival in India and allows multiple entries within its validity period. It can be issued up to three times within a year for an individual requiring follow-up treatment.
- Restrictions and Purpose: The medical visa is strictly for medical purposes and cannot be used for surrogacy or any non-medical activities. For tourism or business pursuits, applicants must obtain a different e-visa category.
- Eligible Nationalities: The medical visa is only applicable to citizens of the 166 countries eligible for Indian e-visas and holding ordinary passports.
- Area Restrictions: Holders of the medical visa are not permitted to visit prohibited, protected, or restricted areas in India without prior authorization from the authorities.
- Medical Attendant Limitations: The medical Visa allows a maximum of two blood relatives to accompany the patient as medical attendants. These attendants must apply for a separate medical attendant visa.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the medical visa policy of India?
The medical visa policy of India is a set of rules and regulations that govern the entry and stay of foreign nationals who seek medical treatment in India from a recognized and licensed institution. The medical visa allows the patient and up to two blood relatives to visit India for 60 days with triple entry and can be issued three times for a single year. The medical visa is not valid for surrogacy or any other non-medical purposes and is only available for nationals of 166 countries that are eligible for Indian e-visas. The medical visa also requires the applicant to have a referral letter from a doctor in their own country and a letter of invitation from a hospital or treatment center. The medical visa does not permit the holder to visit prohibited, protected, or restricted areas in India without prior permission from the authorities.
How long can you stay in India on a medical visa?
You can stay in India for up to 60 days on a medical visa.
What are the new rules for Indian visas?
Recent updates to Indian visa rules include the issuance of regular visas for various purposes, excluding tourism and electronic visas, for nationals of 166 eligible countries. The first 500,000 regular visa applications are processed free of charge to boost tourism. However, visas issued before October 6, 2021, are suspended and must be replaced with new ones, valid for single entries within 120 days. Medical visa applicants need a referral letter and an invitation from an Indian medical institution. The medical visa limits accompanying blood relatives to two, requiring a separate medical attendant visa. It does not cover surrogacy or non-medical purposes. Visa holders are restricted from visiting restricted areas without prior permission, and the visa fee is non-refundable.
How to convert a tourist visa to a medical visa in India?
Converting a tourist visa to a medical visa in India involves applying for a new medical visa while you are already in India on a tourist visa. The process involves submitting an application online through the Bureau of Immigration (BoI) portal and providing supporting documents.
What are the requirements for a medical visa in India?
To be eligible for an e-medical visa to India, applicants must be citizens of a country eligible for e-visas, possess a valid passport with at least six months of validity beyond the intended departure date, have two blank pages for immigration stamps, hold a return or onward ticket, and present a letter of invitation from a recognized hospital or medical institution in India.
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Diego, James Abel. "Rules for India Medical Visa Application." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/indian-medical-visa-rules/. Accessed on 6 October 2023.
Diego, James Abel. "Rules for India Medical Visa Application." Visas For Future. October 6, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/indian-medical-visa-rules/.