The OCI card is available only for people of Indian origin. If your parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents are from India, you can apply for the OCI card. You’ll need supporting documents like Indian passports to prove this. However, if your parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents are from Pakistan or Bangladesh, you cannot get the OCI card.
The OCI card is a documentation conferring Overseas Citizenship of India status upon individuals eligible due to their Indian origin. It is not full citizenship, but a form of permanent residency that allows some rights and privileges in India, such as visa-free travel, work and study opportunities, and property ownership.
Eligibility criteria for OCI card:
- A foreign national who was a citizen of India at the time of, or at any time after the commencement of the Constitution i.e., 26th January 1950; or
- A foreign national who was eligible to become a citizen of India on 26th January 1950; or
- A foreign national who belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August 1947; or
- A child or a grandchild or a great-grandchild of such a citizen; or
- A minor child of such persons mentioned above; or
- A minor child whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India.
If you’re thinking about obtaining an OCI Card, why not apply for an Indian OCI through Visas for Future? The online application process is straightforward: click here, and sign up with your email and provide personal information, pay the fee, continue to complete the intake form, and submit all necessary information. Our team of experts will handle the review of your application. In addition to the swift processing of your Indian OCI, you can make a positive environmental impact by participating in our tree-planting initiative.
What We’re Offering
We offer India OCI processing service. Our service will process your application within two business days, after which you will receive your OCI card within seven to eleven weeks.
- Grants unlimited stay in India.
- Multiple entries.
- $368 fee (Including Government fee).
- Form validation included.
We plant a tree for every OCI sold.
Why choose us
Our visa forms are easy and simple.
We validate your application.
We answer your questions.
We plant a tree!
What are the documents required?
The documents required for an India OCI are as follows:
- Proof of present citizenship.
- Evidence of address of the place of application.
- In case the application is submitted in India, a copy of any long-duration Visa is required.
- Evidence of self or parents or grandparents or great-grandparents.
- Evidence of relationship as parent/ grandparent/great-grandparent, if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for registration as OCI Cardholder.
- In case of minor child whose both parents are citizens of India or one of parents is a citizen of the India,
- Copy of child’s Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate of parents (if no marriage certificate is available, reasons for same to be indicated)
- Copy of Indian passport of the parents / one of the parents or copy of the Domicile Certificate or Nativity Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in respect of the parents/ one of the parents or any other proof substantiating the status of the parents/ one of the parents as being Indian citizen(s).
- If the parents are divorced, the court orders the dissolution of marriage, which specifically mentions that the legal custody of the child is with the parent who is applying for the OCI Card. If the court order is in any foreign language, translation in English or Hindi by an authorized translator is to be enclosed.
- Evidence as spouse of foreign origin of a citizen of India or spouse of foreign.
- Origin of an OCI Cardholder.
Step-by-Step process of how to get an OCI
Follow these effortless steps:
- Visit our official website, Visas for Future.
- Click the ‘Get India OCI’ button.
- Fill out the form accurately.
- Provide your travel information.
- Pay the required fee.
- Upload a recent passport-size photo that meets government guidelines.
- Carefully review your information before submission.
- Schedule an appointment for document submission and biometric capture.
- Attend your appointment and submit the completed application form, required documents, and application fee to the designated Indian embassy or consulate.
Benefits of an Indian OCI card
Registered OCIs will enjoy the following privileges:
- Multiple entry, multipurpose lifelong visa for visits to India.
- Exemption from the requirement to register with the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer / Foreigners Registration Officer, regardless of the duration of their stay in India.
- Parity with Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) in financial, economic, and educational aspects, excluding the acquisition of agricultural or plantation properties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can OCI holders stay in India forever?
Yes, OCI cardholders can stay in India forever.
Is India allowing OCI card holders?
Yes, India is allowing OCI cardholders to enter the country.
Can I travel to India without OCI?
Unfortunately, you cannot travel to India without an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card or a valid visa.
What is the difference between OCI and NRI?
OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) status is granted to foreign citizens with Indian ancestry, affording them specific privileges in India, including long-term visas, work and business opportunities, and exemption from local police registration. Despite these advantages, individuals with OCI status maintain their foreign citizenship and are ineligible to vote or hold government positions in India. On the other hand, NRIs (Non-Resident Indians) are Indian citizens residing abroad for reasons like employment or business. NRIs retain their Indian citizenship, along with voting rights, and may enjoy various tax benefits and investment opportunities. However, their visa requirements differ based on the purpose of their visit and the duration of their stay.
Ask a question
If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.
Send fan mail
We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.
Cite this article
Orcales, Wences. "India OCI Card Eligibility and Criteria." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/india-oci-card-eligibility/. Accessed on 6 October 2023.
Orcales, Wences. "India OCI Card Eligibility and Criteria." Visas For Future. October 6, 2023. https://www.visasforfuture.com/india-oci-card-eligibility/.