Do I need a USA visa if I am from Australia?

Australians traveling to the United States don't need a visa for short visits due to the Visa Waiver Program. Instead, they must get an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before traveling. This system checks if travelers meet the security and eligibility rules before entering the US. The ESTA makes things easier by letting people apply online, cutting down on paperwork and wait times. It's valid for up to two years or until your passport expires. During this time, you can make multiple trips to the US for either business or pleasure, staying up to 90 days each time. If you need more information, keep reading this article.

Get Professional United Estates ESTA Help

As seen on

Australians visiting the USA for tourism or business purposes generally don’t need a visa under certain conditions. This is because Australia is part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) established by the US. However, it’s important to note that Australians still need to obtain an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) before traveling to the US. If Australians intend to stay in the US for less than 90 days for business or tourism purposes, they can apply for an ESTA instead of going through the visa application process.1

  • The US ESTA is not a visa.
  • The ESTA only authorizes travel to a U.S. airport, border, or port of entry.
  • A U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer determines whether an individual can enter the United States upon arrival.

To travel to the United States using the VWP, you must fulfill specific criteria:

  1. Travel Purpose Alignment: Your reason for traveling must match activities allowed under a Visitor (B) Visa. Here are examples of what you can do during your stay under the VWP. Also, VWP travelers can generally travel through the US to other countries.

For Business Purposes:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Attending scientific, educational, professional, or business conventions or conferences
  • Participating in short-term training (without getting paid by any US source, except for small expenses)
  • Negotiating a contract

For Tourism Purposes:

  • Going sightseeing or on vacation
  • Visiting friends or family
  • Getting medical treatment
  • Attending social events organized by groups like clubs or charities
  • Taking part in amateur musicals, sports, or similar events (without getting paid)
  • Joining short recreational courses, not for college credit (like a two-day cooking class during your vacation)
  1. Travel Purposes Not Allowed under the Visa Waiver Program – Examples:
  • Studying for school credit
  • Working
  • Working as a foreign press, radio, film, journalist, or other media
  • Trying to become a permanent resident in the United States

If you need to obtain a US ESTA, Visas for Future can help you. We make the application process easy and convenient, so all you need to do is fill out the form, pay the fee, and provide all the required information. If you need help filling out the form, you can seek help from our team of experts. They will review your application thoroughly on your behalf. Once your application is approved, we will send your visa to your mailbox.

What We’re Offering

We offer a service to help process your U.S. ESTA application. After your application is approved, we will deliver it to your mailbox within 30 days. The Non-immigrant visa enables individuals to temporarily travel to the United States for business (B-1), pleasure, or medical treatment (B-2) purposes.

  • Valid for two (2) years or until the traveler’s passport expires, whichever occurs first.
  •  Allows multiple entries.
  •  Permits a stay of 90 days per entry.2
  •  Processed within one business day.
  •  Costs $46.82.
  •  Important to note: ESTA is not a visa.

Why choose us

Our visa forms are easy and simple.
We validate your application.
We answer your questions.
We plant a tree!

Entry requirements for Australians traveling to the US

To be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Your stay in the United States will be for 90 days or less, and it’s for business, pleasure, or transit.
  2. You’ll arrive using a carrier in the Visa Waiver Program.
  3. Your travel cannot conclude in these areas unless you reside in contiguous territory or adjacent islands.
  4. You must provide a valid email address, home address, and phone number.
  5. You need to provide an emergency point of contact’s phone number, address, and email.


  1. Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA): If you’re an Australian visitor under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), you need ESTA.
  2. Passport: Your passport must be valid for the entire duration of your visit to the US. Some airlines may require six months of additional validity, and at least one empty passport page is necessary for entry stamps.
  3. Return Ticket: You might need proof of onward or return travel from the US.
  4. Customs declaration: You may need to complete a customs declaration form on arrival in the US.
  5. Proof of Funds: You must be able to demonstrate your financial capability for the duration of your stay in the US. This can be proven through bank statements, pay stubs, or evidence of sponsored travel.

How to get a US ESTA for Australians?

Simply follow these straightforward steps:

Step 1: Click “Get United States ESTA now.”

Step 2: Fill out the order form.

  • Fill out the order form with the following details:
    • Your name
    • Email
    • Phone number
    • Nationality
  • Choose the desired number of entries.
  • Enter your billing information accurately.

Step 3: Pay the ESTA fee using a debit or credit card. 

  • Review your application details before proceeding to payment.

Step 4: Answer the intake form accurately. 

  • Personal Details
  • Passport Information
  • Additional Travel Details

Step 5: Upload the required documents. 

  • This includes a scanned copy of your passport biographical page (JPEG format, less than 200 KB).

Step 6: Submit your application. 

  • Review it once more before submitting it.

Step 7: Receive your US ESTA. 

  • If approved, you’ll get it via email. 
  • Remember to print your US ESTA and carry it during your travels.

What are the documents needed for US ESTA for Australians?

To apply for the US Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) as an Australian, you typically need the following documents and information:1

  1. Valid passport(s) from a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) country
  • Travelers must possess a valid passport from a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program.
  • The passport should have at least one empty page, which is necessary for entry stamps.
  1. Have a return or onward ticket
  • Travelers need to show proof of a return or onward ticket.
  • This demonstrates their intention to leave the United States within the authorized period of stay.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long can an Australian stay in the USA without a visa?

Australians can stay in the USA for up to 90 days without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), provided they obtain an ESTA beforehand.

Can Australian citizens work in the USA without a visa?

No, Australian citizens cannot work in the USA without the appropriate work visa.

Is it easy for an Australian to move to America?

No, moving to America permanently is difficult, as the process can be lengthy and complex. 

What do I need to get a tourist visa for the USA?

To obtain a tourist visa for the USA, you can either apply for a B-2 visa at the US Embassy/Consulate in Australia or apply online here at Visas for Future.

  1. U.S. Customs and Border Protection. (2024). Official ESTA Application Website. Dhs.gov. Retrieved March 11, 202. <https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta> [] []
  2. U.S. Customs and Border Protection. (2024). Official ESTA Application Website. Dhs.gov. Retrieved March 11, 2024. <https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta> []

Ask a question

If you still have a question about this topic after reading the article, let us know and we'll update the article. Include your email if you want us to reply to you.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.
Rosalie Santos
Written by

Rosalie is a content writer who loves to learn and share knowledge. She has a background in education and teaching, which helps her write clear, accurate, and engaging content. She writes about travel, culture, and education topics. She also handles Turkey and India visa applications, which she learned from Lei Achumbre, the COO of Visas for Future and a visa expert. She fulfills visa orders and answers customer service questions once a quarter.

Glen Vidania
Managed by Glen Vidania

Glen Vidania is the Content Manager at Visas for Future, a company that offers online visa services for eco-friendly travelers. He is a certified Content Marketer and an experienced academic writer. He writes and promotes content that is informative, engaging, and relevant to the readers. He had work experience and gained skills in writing articles, data entry, SEO email marketing, and guest posting. He is also an expert in applying for visas for Turkey and India.

Glen Vidania
Published by Visas for Future

Visas for Future strives to help you virtually, so that your research is complete in one visit. Our articles are informative, complete and to-the-point. We write in an accessible way, so that non-native English speakers will understand. Our website is accessible for the visually impaired. We have full oversight of our articles and are unbiased in writing. Check our editorial guidelines.

Send fan mail

We love to hear from you! If our article helped you in anyway, let us know and we'll share it with the team on our Friday meetings.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

Cite this article

MLA Style

Santos, Rosalie. "Do I need a USA visa if I am from Australia?." Visas For Future, https://www.visasforfuture.com/do-i-need-a-usa-visa-if-i-am-from-australia/. Accessed on 11 March 2024.

Chicago Style

Santos, Rosalie. "Do I need a USA visa if I am from Australia?." Visas For Future. March 11, 2024. https://www.visasforfuture.com/do-i-need-a-usa-visa-if-i-am-from-australia/.

Published: 11 Mar 2024 9:16 UTC

Last modified: 22 Mar 2024 23:12 UTC

Reading time: 6 minutes

Check our editorial guidelines

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.